Cleaning. It drives us crazy but it is a necessity, right? We put it off as long as we can because, well, we just don’t want to tackle the chores. It takes time and lots of elbow grease. Some products just don’t work like they claim and that means even more work for you.
Cleaning the wrong way could lead to costly repairs or replacements. Who knew there was a wrong way? Knowing what not to do can save you from more than just time wasted.
1. Dusting after you vacuum. Are you making this mistake? If you are, you are making more work for yourself! Even with a new-fangled duster, you will have particles flying through the air. They settle on the carpet, tables and furniture. If you vacuum first, you will have to do it again after the dust has cleared.
2. Using more product than needed. It may seem like one capful or two cups is not enough, but when you use more than directed you are asking for problems. First, the fumes from some cleaners can cause problems for allergy or asthma sufferers in your home. It could even knock you out. It also leaves more product to wash off. Have you ever tried to clear a sponge of soap or other project but it kept on bubbling? Residue may remain not only on sponges but on surfaces too.
3. Scrubbing the carpet. If you have a spill, use a towel or a paper towel to blot the excess moisture first. Then, use a stain remover and follow the directions on the bottle. Scrubbing or rubbing vigorously will result in a wooly-looking spot on your carpet where the fibers have unwoven.
4. Spraying furniture polish on surfaces. Instead of spraying directly on a surface, spray your polish on the cleaning cloth you intend to use. Now, the cloth can collect dirt and trap it on a moist surface instead of making it fly up and then resettle once you’ve moved on to clean something else.
5. Not following package instructions. Ever wonder why you don’t get the results you desire sometimes? It could be because you didn’t follow the instructions. They are there for a reason so use them, like using the recommended amount on the label.
6. Cleaning windows on sunny days. The sun will dry the cleaner faster than you can wipe. It will leave a streaky finish after all your hard work. And no one likes streaky windows!
So you can get your list on.
Sign up for a free account to give ListPlanit a try.
Or click here to sign up for unlimited access to all of our lists for just $5 / month.×
Enter your email and we'll send along password reset instructions.×