October is fall, start to finish. It means colorful leaves, warm drinks, and getting cozy. There are many things that I love to do during the month of October (which begins tomorrow) and I try to prioritize those so that I don’t miss out on a memorable experience for myself or for my family. And that is what life is all about. . .a collection of memorable moments. We’re all going to do the dishes and work and buy groceries regularly, but it is often the seasonal pleasures that give us something to look forward to and then enjoy.
Here is my list of the top 10 things to do in October. Check over this list, find what works for your family, and then schedule them on the calendar so that you don’t miss out on this October’s opportunities for memorable moments.
1. Pick apples – If you are lucky enough to live near an apple orchard, then there is no better way to spend an autumn afternoon than picking apples right off the tree. It is not only a great family activity, but it has a delicious outcome.
2. Visit a pumpkin patch – Sometimes this can be done at the same time as you are picking apples. Be sure to pick out a pumpkin for your front porch, a sugar pumpkin (or two) to roast for puree, a pumpkin that can be carved into a jack-o-lantern, and any other decorative pumpkins you might like.
3. Prepare your gardens and lawn – The fall is an important time to prep your gardens and lawn for the coming winter. It is also a great time to seed your lawn and plant bulbs. Trim back the dead foliage to prevent damage.
4. Take a hike – Not only is the weather more acclimated for physical exertion, but in October you may have the privilege of coming across some pretty amazing scenery.
5. Cook over a fire – Whether it is a bonfire or a campfire, food tastes better when it is cooked outdoors. Grab some hot dogs and some marshmallows and you’ve got dinner and a dessert.
6. Consider costumes – Halloween is at the end of the month, but it takes quite a bit of time to settle on a costume and then gather all of its components.
7. Rake the leaves – Raking leaves seems like such a drag, but there is a sweet reward for children who work hard to rake all of those fallen leaves into a large pile. Just remember, “Never jump into a pile of leaves with a wet sucker.” (Linus Van Pelt in It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown)
8. Slow cook some soup – Soup is one of my favorite things to make in the fall and winter. It does not get much easier than throwing some veggies, beans, &/or meat in a slow cooker some liquid and some spices. Then let it cook all day and come home to a warm, aromatic, and hearty family dinner.
9. Visit a corn maze or a haunted house – Because October is the month of harvest and Halloween, there are some opportunities for some imaginative fun.
10. Carve a jack-o-lantern – This is a fun tradition during this season. Jack-o-lanterns can be friendly or frightening.
Let ListPlanIt help you with all of your Fall To Dos. You’ll find to do lists, meal planning worksheets, fall and holiday party planning pages, and lots more! Join today and start your free 30-day trial and get organized for the season to come.
So you can get your list on.
Sign up for a free account to give ListPlanit a try.
Or click here to sign up for unlimited access to all of our lists for just $5 / month.×
Enter your email and we'll send along password reset instructions.×